Scroll back to the top

University-Level Academic Suspension

What is a university-level academic suspension?

Undergraduate students who are suspended at the university level must leave the university for a period of 12 months and are permitted to re-apply for admission to return to Texas A&M after that 12-month period. Application for re-admission though the Office of Admissions is required, and acceptance is not guaranteed. During the suspension period, you will not be a Texas A&M student and will have limited access to Texas A&M resources.

If you have been suspended, you should become familiar with two important Student Rules:

  1. University Student Rules, Academic Rules, 12. Scholastic Deficiency/Probation
  2. University Student Rules, Academic Rules, 50. Academic Suspension and Blocks

You can learn more about suspension from the Undergraduate Studies YouTube video "Appealing a Suspension."

What does it mean to be academically suspended at the university level?

If you have been suspended, it means you have not met the academic requirements of the university. Typically, if your cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0, you will be suspended.  Suspension is for a 12-month period. Once the 12 months have passed, you have the right to re-apply for admission to the university, but your admission is not guaranteed.

How can I appeal a university-level academic suspension?

Refer back to the letter or email you received from your college dean that announced your suspension. It will tell you about two processes and give you contact information for each. Pay close attention to the deadlines. 

If you want to appeal because of extenuating circumstances that affected your academic performance, for example, a prolonged or serious illness, you can appeal to your college.

If you believe that the decision to dismiss you was arbitrary, prejudiced, or capricious, you can appeal to the Undergraduate Academic Appeals Panel (UAAP). If you believe that is the case, follow Student Rule 57. 

Request a hearing at the UAAP.

What should I do if I am academically suspended at the university level?

Consider the suspension time an opportunity to pause and re-evaluate your situation. What caused you to perform below expectations academically? Some students identify poor study habits, lack of preparation, excess social activity, or work outside of classes as contributors. Some discover their major is the problem. Perhaps their understanding of the major and the aptitude for the work required is different from what they expected. Perhaps they  lacked interest or skill in their major. In many cases, you will need to request a new major if you re-apply to TexasA&M. The best place to start figuring out what to do is by visiting your academic advisor. He or she will be able to help you pinpoint the issues and see what other major might work. if you cannot get help from your academic advisor, visit with the advisors in Transition Academic Programs, who have a wide knowledge of the requirements of many majors.

How can I improve my academic performance and improve my chance for re-admission to Texas A&M?

To identify problem areas and change your behaviors, talk to your academic advisor. The advisor might refer you to the Student Counseling Service or to the Academic Success Center. Or you can contact these offices directly. The Student Counseling Service can let you know about off-campus services that can help you sort out personal issues that may have affected you. The Academic Success Center coaches can work with you to develop a plan that addresses your academic issues.