Academic Appeals

The Undergraduate Academic Appeals Panel hears appeals involving the following;
  1. Suspensions or blocks for scholastic deficiency (
  2. Disputes over an unauthorized absence determination (
  3. Disputes over a final course grade (

Faculty should be familiar with the Student Rules that detail the guidelines, procedures, and instructions for students who have a grievance. The Student Rule that applies to student grievances is located at

The Undergraduate Academic Appeals Panel exists as a final resort for undergraduate students who have gone through the proper channels, specifically, instructors, departments, and colleges (through the deans) with a grievance. Students may appeal decisions by the college if they allege that the grade, block, or suspension was influenced by arbitrariness, capriciousness, or prejudice.

To pursue an appeal, students must contact the Ombuds Office in Undergraduate Studies. The Ombuds will advise them and guide them though the process.  If a student decides to pursue an appeal, the Ombuds will contact the Chair of the Undergraduate Academic Appeals Panel, who will conduct a preliminary review of the grievance, and then, if appropriate, requests that a hearing be scheduled. The Ombuds will ensure that all parties have the opportunity to present and review any documentation related to the case.

The Undergraduate Academic Appeals Panel considers the facts presented by all parties involved and then makes a decision in closed session. The Chair informs the student of the decision immediately following the hearing. The Panel’s decision is forwarded to the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Studies with copies to the President, the Dean of Faculties, the student, and the faculty member or college administrator involved in the case. 

The Undergraduate Academic Appeals Panel includes the chair, four faculty members, and three undergraduate students. These are selected for each case from a panel of up to 30 faculty, students, and chairs who have been trained for their specific roles. Charis are appointed through the Academic Operations Committee Deans. Faculty are appointed by the Dean of Faculties, in consultation with the Faculty Senate. 

Faculty members who have an interest in serving on this University Committee should contact the Dean of Faculties Office at (979) 845-4274 or via e-mail at Meetings to consider appeals of academic suspensions are typically scheduled during the first week of each regular semester. Other meetings are scheduled as necessary.